Right now I am in Antalya at an International Symposium for Travel Writers, great set of people, great contacs for the future, and during a lecture a few days ago I was asked to talk about connecting cultures. So I wrote these ten tips as a base for my lecture. As below: (I thought maybe, in this stress to get things together for another lecture, I´d like to share it with you readers.)
- You need to travel, visit other countries, smell them, feel them.
- But don´t travel with your own country men, find ways to travel to meet local people on their terms, motorized vehicles do not help.
- Remember you are a guest, if you don´t like what you see, go home.
When you don´t understand, ask and try to see things from their perspective.
- Listen more than talk. But be curios.
- Humour and don´t take yourself to seriously.
- Don´t judge, have an open mind, what you see might not be the truth.
- Communication, Try to learn the language, if not try to communicate.
- Inform your self. Read and research a lot, but keep an open mind, read authors from that country. Remember objectivness doesn´t exist.
- Write, document and talk about your experiences, we need to inform others. Ignorance is dangerous.
Turkish Biggest Daily English Newspaper, Todays Zamam, published this article yesterday.
Hope things are going well for you.
Have you regained your strength?
Or still searching which direction to take?
Let me tell you that you inspire lots of people,
your website is interesting and a wonderful meeting place.
Besides that I find it extremely important that you share
your experiences, the good AND the bad.
Because ups & downs is what life is about, and sharing the difficult moments
helps lots of others to deal with their own drawbacks.
So, thanks, pal.
And thumbs up for you. Arita
nice post. thanks.
Thanks very much for writing all of the good content! I am looking forward to reading more.